Friday, July 31, 2009

Best Work Day Ever!

To get my writing juices flowing again I thought I would write about something that happened to me over 11 years ago, but which still has a great effect on me.

When I was 19-20 years old I worked as a substitute teacher for the Provo School District. It was an enjoyable job. The only thing that I wasn't too fond of was subbing first graders. I felt more like a babysitter than a teacher.

I once had an opportunity to work at Oakridge School. It was a school for special needs children and, once again, I was wary that I would be a babysitter. To some degree I was, but the day was so well structured it didn't bother me at all. We played several games and it was so much fun interacting with the children. I was actually a bit sad that the day flew by so quickly.

The moment I remember most, however, happened at the end of the day. They had recess last and a part of my job was to supervise the children as they played. Everything went smoothly, no problems at all. But then I noticed one little girl. Her legs were disfigured and she needed crutches to walk. She stood in the middle of the playground, alone, with her head down and her hair covering her face.

Within moments of noticing her the bell rang. I watched as children rushed by me, ready to go home. However, the little girl did not move. Soon the playground was empty, except for the two of us. I walked to her and bent down to talk to her. This is how the conversation went:

Me: Hi!
Her:
Me: Are you okay?
Her:
Me: It's time to go home. Do you want to go home?
Her:
Me: Do you want to walk with me? I'd love to walk with you.
Her:
Me: Come on, sweetheart. You can't stay out here all day.
Her:

I didn't know what to do.

Eventually I just picked her up and carried her. As I walked toward the door I very gently spoke into her ear, "You shouldn't let your hair fall down into your face. People can't see how pretty you are." She still said nothing.

We walked inside and I set her down. I told her to gather her things to go home and then I talked to her teacher to let her know what had happened. I then proceeded to help the other children get their things together.

A few minutes later I felt a tug at the back of my pant leg. I turned around and there was the little girl, her hair pulled back into a ponytail. She looked up at me with a big grin and said, "Now you can see how pretty I am". My heart melted in an instant. I replied with, "I sure can!"

I walked her to the bus, she got on and found a seat. For the next several minutes she looked out the window, right at me, with that big grin still on her little face.

To this day I still tear up when I think of her. I wonder where she is and what she is doing.

It is amazing how a small act can make such an impact on someone. Whether negative or positive we all affect those around us. Be careful of what you say or do. It does make a difference. The best policy? Be kind to everyone. Love everyone. Befriend everyone. Be like our Savior.

1 comment:

Sharolyn Gabbitas said...

I really loved this story Ray. I am sure you made a huge impact on her.