Sunday, November 7, 2010

Blessed are the Sick

I recently read the blog of a good friend whose family seems to have a continual barrage of health problems and, as my heart aches over the physical and emotional pain that she and her family are going through, I can't help but think about the hand I've been dealt in this mortal life. Yes, being sick sucks, especially when it is something that has no easy fix. I'm sure we'd all love a magic little pill that would make every sickness, every ache and pain go away. Instead, many of us have to deal with trials of illness, sometimes for our entire lives. Whether it is our own physical dealings or the ailments of those we care about, it is something that greatly affects us.

I personally have been blessed in the fact that my illnesses have not made me angry or bitter. They have never made me question my faith or ask "Why me?". Instead, I feel I have been blessed with a greater understanding of things seen and unseen. Here are just a few things that I have been taught:

1) Our Father in Heaven and our Savior, Jesus Christ, love us. The sacrifice that our Heavenly Father made in sending His only begotten son to die for us shows me that the love He has for each of His children is infinite. I tear up every time I think about this sacrifice, as well as the great sacrifice that our Savior made for us. When I am feeling ill or I am overwhelmed by my health issues I think about the fact that our brother Jesus bled from every pore, taking upon him all of the pains that we have ever felt or will ever feel. Whether emotional, spiritual or physical, he has felt these pains. What an incredible feeling to know that he completely understands what we are going through. I know that he aches with us, he cries with us, he yearns for us. He is our ultimate stalwart. (Yep, I'm in tears right now.)

2) Families are Forever. In the 18 years that I have had health issues there has been no greater support than my family. My mom spent countless hours driving to appointments, sitting in waiting rooms, spending nights in hospital rooms, etc. She provided the much needed shoulder to lean on and, in turn, became one of my closest friends. My dad worked very hard to make sure I had adequate insurance as well as any other temporal need. He has always been there for me, taking time off from work, yelling at school administrators (a personal favorite), providing much needed laughter, and whatever else he was called on to do. This is especially true when it comes to the priesthood. He has always worked hard to be worthy so that I can benefit from the blessings that come from holding that sacred calling. His love and sacrifice have made him one of my favorite people in the world. Other family members have given a myriad of support, including some who have given of themselves, or have been willing to give of themselves, so that I could live a healthier life. I am happy to be stuck with these nuts forever.

3) Friends are amazing. It is such a wonderful feeling to laugh with a good friend, to have a pal cheer me on when things are going well in my life, or to have a buddy put his arm around my shoulder just because he loves me. However, there is no feeling as impactful as having a friend who is there during the really difficult times. This especially rings true when it comes to my health. The love and support that I have received from my amazing friends have been such great blessings. This group has become my allies, ranking amongst my closest family members. In fact, many of them have become family. No matter how sick I feel I know that I can count on them to lift me up and keep me going.

4) It is important to serve others. There have been vast numbers of doctors, nurses, other health care professionals, church leaders, as well as my family and friends, who have provided innumerous amounts of service to me. I have seen over and over again the Christlike examples of love, sacrifice and acceptance. It is impossible for me to receive blessings such as these without wanting to bless the lives of others. That is why I continually look for opportunities to serve. It doesn't need to be anything grand. Sometimes all it takes is a smile. You never know the effect you might have. A little bit of service can really go a long way.

Service is also a great way to forget about your troubles for a while. And what a great feeling it brings. It will definitely put a smile on your face. There truly is no better blessing than to help bless the lives of others.

5) Empathy is a great blessing. I truly believe that my health has made me a more compassionate person. I definitely understand people who are struggling with health issues of their own, or teenagers who are having a difficult time, or people who allow their fears and anxieties to overtake their lives. I've been there, done that. In some cases I am still there. It really has allowed me to connect with people in similar situations. I have even had opportunities to counsel and serve them because I understand where they are coming from.

Sometimes empathy is not an option, but sympathy can be just as great a blessing because we have an inherent ability to care for others that comes from our Heavenly Parents. Many of us struggle with this aspect of who we are, but if we remember these words from Elder Marvin J. Ashton I think we can find the potential within us.
"If we could look into each other's hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us face, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance and care."

I am so grateful that I have the blessing of knowing who I am and that, no matter the trials, I can be happy. I pray for all of those who are struggling and I hope they realize just how much they are loved.

No comments: