Tuesday, April 12, 2011

To Buzz or Not to Buzz

After my transplant I had to avoid the public for 6 weeks, a feat not so easy for someone who loves to be around people. This, of course, made it difficult to do normal activities such as grocery shopping, going to the movies or cruisin' for chicks. This also meant I could not go get a haircut. Now you might think that since my family is in the hair industry I might just call one of the many hairstylists I know to come over and give me a haircut. Nope. I didn't think of it at the time. Instead I had the brilliant idea to just buzz my head. It would make things much easier for me if I didn't have to deal with my hair, right? After all, it may have gotten in the way of my sitting around, watching movies, reading, etc. Plus, if Susan Powter and Sinéad O'Connor could pull it off, why not me?



There are a few problems one might run into, however, when trying to decide on whether to buzz his (or her) head. First is head shape. You have to admit there are a lot of ugly-shaped heads out there. For example, Egghead from the 1960's Batman television show.


Here is a man who probably should have worn a hat or a toupee. I mean, seriously, with a head like that he really had no other options for villainous names. And the name Egghead doesn't exactly put the fear of God into anyone. Anyway, if I had thought of this ahead of time I probably would have been a bit self-conscious.

Another problem is cowlick. Yes, I have one. I don't think it's a really serious cowlick, though. Nothing like what Alfalfa had to endure, anyway.



Yet, it is still something I should have considered.

One more thing probably should have crossed my mind when making this epic decision. Would a buzz cut be too boyish on me? I had plenty of them when I was a kid. My grandpa would sit me on a stool in his kitchen and go to it with his clippers. I remember one time he thought it would be funny to pour some ketchup down the back of my ear and then have me scream so that everyone would rush in and think he had cut me. It didn't work. Anyway, I'm off track. The question was (or should have been) would I look okay with a man-buzz?

Notwithstanding, my thoughts at the time had nothing to do with head shape, cowlicks or boyishness. Instead, the factors were 1) I needed a haircut, and 2) I wanted something easy. So, one day while my roomies were at church (another place I could not go during the 6-week imprisonment) I took Broderick's clippers and buzzed it. Surprisingly, it was fun and quite liberating. I would suggest everyone do it at least once in their life, but then again, there are many with ugly-head-shape and cowlick problems. So I won't do that.

And as to those aforementioned concerns, I have had many compliments on my buzz cuts. Many of these came from friends whom I know would have told me if I looked ridiculous, so I take them as serious acknowledgments. No boyishness. No ugly head. And, as evidenced by this photo, no cowlick problem. (I'm the second one from the left, as if I had to tell you.)



No problems whatsoever! Just a whole lot of hair liberation going on!

So, why this post today? Well, ever since that first man-buzz, every once in a while I get the hankering to just buzz the locks off. It recently happened again. In fact, the above picture was taken only three days ago.


Ain't it sweet!?!

No comments: