Sunday, October 24, 2010

This Day in History

Every day has a history full of fun, random and interesting facts. For example, today (October 24th) is the anniversary of the following events:
  • 1537 - Jane Seymour, third wife of King Henry VIII, died at the age of 29.
  • 1926 - Harry Houdini performed for the last time. ( He died 1 week later.)
  • 1931 - The George Washington Bridge first opened to the public.
  • 1945 - The United Nations was founded.
  • 1954 - President Dwight D. Eisenhowser pledged U.S. support to South Vietnam
One of the most interesting events, though, happened 109 years ago. A woman named Annie Edson Taylor, on her 63rd birthday, became the first person to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel.


Yes, you read that correctly. The Queen of the Mist accomplished this feat on her birthday. It was her 63rd birthday, nonetheless!

This reminds me of someone else who was born on this day....someone who deserves to be celebrated....someone who has entertained many many people....someone who has brought fun and catchy music to our lives....someone who has made women swoon.

Of course I speak of The Big Bopper, born October 24, 1930. Who doesn't love the song Chantilly Lace?





Okay, okay..... There is someone else whom I am celebrating today.





That would be this guy:

Yes, this guy. Broderick Graham. My buddy, my brother, one of my best friends.

Sure, he’s the biggest dork I know. His brain plays an interminable assortment of ridiculously random songs. He continually sings these songs (often leaving them stuck in my head), and if he doesn’t know the lyrics, he makes them up. He also has an incessant array of goofy voices which will lighten any doleful situation (guaranteed or your money back). And his jokes are often cheesy and sometimes a bit off-color, but at the same time, hilarious. Yes, he’s a dork. And that is only one reason why I love him so much.

Dorkly Picture

Other reasons to show some brotherly love for the fellow….

Broderick is smart. And not just a smart a**. He's also book smart. And he's very insightful and perceptive. This comes in handy when I need to talk through a problem (*see below). I love listening to his analysis of a situation. I also love how insightful he is when it comes to the gospel. I can tell just how much the spirit affects his life. "Can I get an 'amen'?"

Broderick is my tennis buddy. I've always loved tennis, but it wasn't until we became roommates that my love became an obsession. We played several times a week that first summer, even using a mop, a broom and a few towels to dry the court off so we could play after a rainstorm. Heck, we've even played in the rain! I really enjoy playing with the guy, not only because it's fun, but also because it's a great way to spend some one-on-one time with my pal.



Broderick is also a total stud. What makes him a stud? He is always willing to give a person the shirt off his back (settle down ladies, I’m speaking figuratively). He will drop whatever he is doing to help a person in need. He can meet someone and sincerely get to know them in just a few minutes. He doesn’t just act interested, he genuinely is interested. He loves people and he loves life.

Studly Picture

Most of all, I love that Broderick is my brother. Or brother-from-another-mother. Or brutha. Or brah. Whatever it is, he is family. We are alike in so many ways. Yes, this includes the massive dorkdom. But, more than that, we also have the same tastes in music, clothes, tennis (of course!) and even decorating style. We even think alike (now that is scary). And, of course, I love to cook and he loves to eat my cooking. If that doesn’t solidify our brother status, I don’t know what will.

Well, yeah, there’s more.

*Warning: This is where the tissues may come in handy ;-)*

I know he’s in my corner. I know I can count on him for advice (this is where the insight and perceptiveness come in handy). I can also count on him to give me a swift kick to the back of the pants if I really need one. Whether we are teasing one another or he’s smacking me upside the head for being an idiot, I know he loves me. I really can count on him for anything.

Brotherly Picture

So, Broderick Graham, I wish you a Happy Birthday. Thanks for being my buddy, my pal, my brother. You truly are a stud.

No comments: